Attendance, Punctuality & Truancy
Regular attendance is a key element in a student’s learning success. Therefore it is important for students to attend school punctually and consistently.
- Students must attend school, be on time, and be prepared for all classes and school activities.
- Fun or activity days are regular school days and attendance is required.
- Students, who arrive late, are to report to the office before going to their classroom.
- When students are absent from school the parents or guardians are expected to phone the school or send a note with the REASON for and the duration of the absence.
- When a student is absent, it is that student’s responsibility to find out and catch up on any work that was missed.
- Acceptable reasons for absenteeism include illness, medical and dental situations, bereavement and emergency home situations
- Students may leave before the end of the day however, they need a note signed by the parents or guardians and authorized by the administration to do so.
- When students do leave the grounds at noon they will not return until after the eating part of the noon recess and are to be here for afternoon registration.
- If students are absent and are seen at school or extra-curricular activities, this may constitute truancy. Truancy is defined as absence without prior parental approval and/or absence without acceptable reasons as determined by the Principal.
- It is the responsibility of all students to attend all classes, every day.
Students who fail to attend school or a class and who are unable to provide written notice from the parent/guardian, which indicates awareness and approval of the absence, will be considered to be absent without excuse. For specific details, refer to the Attendance Policy.